Yet another "Leadership Academy Principal" has turned up apparently "acting badly". This time its the "embattled" nine year Principal of PS 106 in Far Rockaway, Marcella Sills. Interestingly, Ms Sills was actually appointed as Principal by Cathy Cashin when she was a Superintendent, maybe its good that she didn't get the Chancellor's job. In today's New York Post the article by Susan Edelman shows the many problems found at her school. Worse, if you go back to the 2007-08 school year, Norm Scott for the newspaper "The Wave" and reprinted on his blogs, wrote articles about the problems with Principal Marcella Sills at PS 106, Here and also Here Interestingly, over the nine years of Ms. Sills tenure Tweed ignored the problems at PS 106 as children suffered, teachers were retaliated against, and the administrative shortcomings that went on at the school. Furthermore, during the years 2005-07 a second grade girl was sexually assaulted in the school and Ms. Sills never bothered to called the police and initially refused to authorize a transfer for the girl from the school despite the abuse. The Post also reported how in a school with deep poverty, she required 5th graders to rent tuxedos and prom dresses costing over $100 to go to the formal the video is Here.
Marcella Sills has been accused of some very serious actions by the New York Post artice and they include the following allegations:
- Ms. Sills is a frequent "no-show" and is often late when she shows up at the school.
- The students have no physical education or art courses.
- No substitutes are hired and the kids are dumped into other teacher's classes.
- No special education co-teacher for learning disabled students.
- No reading, writing, and math books aligned to the "Common Core".
- The Library is a mess and refereed as a "junk room".
- The Nurse's office lacks the necessities like a refrigerator, sink, and cot.
- The Kindergarteners sit in a dilapidated trailer that reeks with animal urine.
update: Chancellor Carmen Farina will send a Deputy to check out the problems at PS 106 but didn't mention if the Principal will be removed, pending an investigation. The double standard continues.By the way, according to the New York Post Marcella Sills showed up at 7:30 am and wasn't removed as of today.