Saturday, February 28, 2015

Accountability Is Absent At The DOE



















 ATRs are usually notified by the DOE on Thursday, the week before their new school placement.  This was agreed upon with the union to give the ATRs a chance to contact the school for their scheduled times to report and whether there is parking available.  However, many of the ATRs were not notified of their placement until Friday after 4pm, too late to contact the school.   That means some ATRs will show up too early for a late schedule or too late if they are assigned an early schedule and have time deducted from their CAR.  Who was responsible for this snafu?  The DOE, of course.  However, will anybody at the DOE be disciplined for their incompetence?  Don't bet on that happening.

Apparently, accountability are for teachers, if an ATR misses two mandatory interviews, they are fired.  However, when somebody at the Central Bureaucracy screws up, they are not held accountable for their incompetence.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its Saturday Feb 28, 2015, and most of us have not been told where to go on Monday.

Yesterday, while I was covering an LTA, a student threatened to "smack the shit" out of me; the Principal acted on it quickly, having a meeting w/ concerned parties, and giving a Sup Susp. to student.

I asked the UFT, Principal, and DOE to be rotated out as I fear for my safety. A lukewarm response from everyone concerned, including the UFT that said I had to stay there until my rotation was over....Hey UFT...it was over yesterday, now I'm still waiting in fear for my new assignment!

WJP

Philip Nobile said...

Re no accountability at DOE or UFT: The arbitrator at my 3020-a declared that two DOE witnesses lied. I demanded that the DOE get them for perjury in a long, detailed complaint. There was no reply. Anticipating that the witnesses would lie, I insisted that NYSUT pursue charges. They refused. I fired them and defended myself. If only the public realized how corrupt these two institutions are. institutions.

Anonymous said...

How about some Union action? Last year a weekly rotation, this year who knows? 2 months, 1 month, 7 weeks, 5 weeks, 3 weeks - is the union advocating in any way for us? Are Amy Arundel and Michael Sill still representing 1800 plus ATRs? Hey LeRoy Barr, kiss my ass. The UFT is one very f--ked up organization - 163 million dollars a year for what?

Anonymous said...

Chaz, very sorry to go off topic, but I am confident you can assist me. I could not find the answer anywhere online, so here goes...

If I am approved for a one year study sabbatical, IS IT A 100% GUARANTEE that I can return to my school upon completion of the sabbatical? I love my school, and would not want any "surprises" upon completion of the sabbatical.

Thank you.

Chaz said...

Anon 9:15

As an appointed teacher, you cannot lose your school position for taking a sabbatical.

Anonymous said...

Anon 915

Unless upon your return, you find the school has been reorganized and changes its name.

Anonymous said...

Yea baby , almost Spring Break.

Anonymous said...

Hey Chaz why don't you go to the new York post or daily news with this shit and show then how screwed up the atr unit is!!!!
They are not accountable.