In the New York Post today there is an article on the New York State Department of Education audit of the "credit recovery" courses used by Brooklyn's John Dewey High School. These credit recovery courses were nicknamed by the students as "easy pass".
The NYSED audit, which took years to complete looked at the "credit recovery" courses from 2012 to 2015 and found the following:
- Students not eligible to take the credit recovery courses were allowed to, despite teacher complaints.
- Most credit recovery courses had no actual teacher, just a packet.
- 77% of the credit recovery courses had no certified teacher,
- 75% of the students were wrongly awarded a diploma due to the bogus creit recovery courses.
- One rookie teacher was responsible for 52 credit recovery courses in one semester.
This is just another example how the DOE rather issue bogus high school diplomas rather than give the students the education they deserve.