Richard Carranza has made a few positive changes since taking over as Chancellor of the NYC public schools.. He has pushed out Carmen Farina's favorite , Amiee Horowitz and has removed a couple of misbehaving principals. However, he has failed to significantly change the culture at Tweed. Just read the NYC Public School Parents Blog and you can see how. the pro charter and education reformers still dominate Tweed.
While the Chancellor is not anti teacher like the previous five Chancellors (Levy, Klein, Black, Walcott, and Farina), he has failed to make significant changes to the DOE that is still dominated by Bloomberg era policymakers. What does Chancellor Carranza need to do? Let me count the ways.he can tackle the issues.
- Eliminate Fair Student Funding
- Remove the Bloomberg policymakers at Tweed.
- Let teachers teach and control their classroom.
- Stop schools from hiring "newbies" when ATRs are available for the subject area.
- Fully fund schools.
- Reduce the administrative bloat at the DOE.
- Lower class sizes.
- Eliminate Charlotte Danielson rubric for teachers.
- Reduce paperwork.
- Hire independent investigators for teachers accused.
- More rights for Chapter Leaders.
- Stop discriminating against veteran teachers.