An Independent Voice That Advocates For The Classroom Educator Without The Corrupting Politics Tied To Our Union And DOE Leadership.
Sunday, December 10, 2017
The 300 Member Negotiating Committee Is Only A Fig Leaf.
Our union leadership is organizing a 300 member negotiating committee to help with the next contract that starts in November of 2018. However, if past history is a lesson, the 300 member negotiating committee is simply a fig leaf as the real negotiations will be dictated by a select group of our union leadership who cares little about what the rank and file wants.
Anybody who believes that our union leadership will listen to the 300 member negotiating committee's recommendations, then I have a bridge in Brooklyn t sell you. Moreover, when it comes to pay raises, the UFT will be subject to "collective bargaining" and since DC37 is presently negotiating with the City on a three year contract with very modest raises.it's a safe bet that whatever DC37 settles for will also be applicable to the UFT. Finally, the State unions are getting 2% raises and that will also factor into the final contract the UFT negotiates with the City.
The bottom line, I expect a two or three year contract with modest raises of between 1.5% and 2% yearly and hopefully, no "givebacks". Presently, the City has a surplus while the State has a budget deficit and can afford to give us higher rises but won't. I would be shocked if the total UFT contract raises exceed 4% for two years or 6% for three.Let's hope that the small raises will nothave to be self funded by increased health care co pays or other "givebacks".