Here we are, Halloween 2011, and Mayor Bloomberg has presented the New York City Public Schools with more "tricks" in the form of budget cuts. Bringing the total cuts to the schools averaging 21.7% by the start of the 2011-12 school year. The Mayor once thought that he would go down as the "Education Mayor". However, even he now realizes that his so-called advances in student academic progress was all "smoke and mirrors". Now it seems he wants to starve the New York City Public Schools of resources, especially for the classroom and find ways to cut staff by any means possible.
Let's list some of the devastating changes in the last few years in the schools since the Mayor has taken charge of the schools.
- An additional 8% budget cut on top of a 13.7% reduction in the last three years.
- Largest class sizes in a decade.
- The elimination of 7,000 teaching positions since 2008 and more to come.
- Laying off 1,179 school aides in the last few years who are necessary to run the schools and help the most vulnerable of children.
- No teachers' choice and less resources for the classroom.
- A more hostile classroom environment with increased paperwork & duties.
- Billions on worthless technology that are useless in the classroom. (ARIS & SESIS).
- Closing of schools and being replaced by privately funded Charters.
- A widening racial/income academic achievement gap since 2005.
- Failure to properly educate students. Only 21% of college graduates are ready for college or careers.
- Only 46% of high school graduates attend college. In addition, an astounding 22.6% of high school graduates going to college needed triple remediation.