An Independent Voice That Advocates For The Classroom Educator Without The Corrupting Politics Tied To Our Union And DOE Leadership.
Sunday, March 30, 2014
Crain's Joins The Media Bashing Of ATRs With A Highly Inaccurate Editorial.
Crain's NY Business has joined the newspaper bashing of ATRs by writing an editorial on why the ATRs should be terminated. The editorial titled"Rubber room must hit the road". Even from the title one can see how confused the editorial is since ATRs are not teachers awaiting discipline but teachers without a classroom.The editorial continues their inaccuracies by stating the following:
"The poster child for nonsensical job protection is something called the Absent Teacher Reserve also known as the "rubber room"".
The entire editorial confuses the ATR situation with the "rubber room" as if the ATRs are discipline problems despite the fact that over 60% never had a discipline charge logged against them and the other 40% went through the discipline process and were found to be innocent of any major discipline and were returned to the classroom with full rights as teachers.
The editorial includes the same deliberate inaccuracies and omissions that the other newspaper editorials do, like ignoring the effects of the "fair student funding" and the fact that principal budgets are constructed so that the schools are encouraged to hire the "cheapest" and not the "best teachers" for the school, and the targeting of schools for closure (163 of them). It seems to me every metropolitan newspaper uses the same script. Demonize the ATRs as unwanted or bad teachers and impose a time limit for them to get a position and then fire them without bothering to mention the underlying causes for the 2,000+ ATR pool in the first place. Why bother telling the readers the truth? That only destroys the illusion that its the ATR's fault and not the bad policy decisions by the Bloomberg Administration and the DOE. It's better to claim that no Principal want them rather than blame the polices set by the Bloomberg/Klein?Walcott tenure with the union being complicit to this perverse and costly predicament.