Sunday, March 06, 2011

Mayor Bloomberg Claims Teacher Experience Is Irrelevant. Well, Here Is Some News For You, Teacher Experience Is Correlated With Student Achievement.


.




















His Emperor, Mayor4Life, Michael Bloomberg, claims that teacher experience does not count. In fact he is quoted in saying that teacher experience is irrelevant in the classroom. You might think that I am making this up but I am not and NY1 has the astounding Bloomberg statement Here.

In his attempts to demonize senior teachers he has now gone beyond reason with the bogus statement the teaching experience does not count. It would seem that a "newbie teacher" has just as much classroom control and curriculum knowledge as a ten year veteran. Of course, the truth and educational studies show otherwise.

Leoine Haimson wrote an article that includes various studies that correlate teacher experience with student achievement. In no case does it show that a "newbie teacher" can compete with an experienced teacher when it comes to student academic achievement. You can found her article and the studies Here.

I guess the Mayor is so desperate to get rid of senior teachers and save money that he has fallen off the cliff of reason. Even his ed deformer friends don't back him on his "teacher experience is irrelevant" statement. I am sure they cringed on that statement because it blatantly exposes Bloomberg's agenda which is "children last" and "education on the cheap"policies.

Mayor Bloomberg wants to go down as the "education Mayor". Maybe it is time that he went into the classroom and try to teach so that he can know what he is talking about.

4 comments:

WTF said...

If this is the mayor's view, let him send refund checks to all teachers with master's degrees and higher, in debt for life.

NYC Educator said...

Great pic, Chaz. Reality certainly doesn't dissuade or influence our corporate-friendly mayor.

Pissedoffteacher said...

Well said.

Anonymous said...

I have a friend who teaches 8th grade social studies. I'm a liberal, he's a conservative, I believe in choice, he's anti-abortion, I am anti-merit pay, he is pro.I haven't spoken to him in a while, but I wonder what his position on merit pay is now that the 8th grade social studies state test is gone?

I sat in on an impartial hearing for which I was one of the teachers of record but not personally named. Why was I there? Because my successor was a newbie and had zero experience with the system.I was there to give testimony BASED ON MY EXPERIENCE. I was the one that the City attorney spoke to for insight into the record, not the newbie.

I make decisions all the time about mandated services BASED ON MY EXPERIENCE AS AN EVALUATOR AND A PROFESSIONAL IN MY FIELD.

But experience doesn't count. And @WTF - I should be reimbursed for the years I spent getting my 58-credit masters degree, my two state licenses, and my national certification. Thanks for pointing that out.