It has come to my attention that Townsend Harris High School is looking for an inexpensive Social Studies Teacher. This is the #1 rated high school in Queens and the school has a reputation for hiring veteran teachers with a minimum of five years or more classroom experience since experienced teachers is what makes the students reach their academic potential. However, there is a new Principal and either the Principal and/or the Social Studies Assistant Principal has decided to go in a different direction and hire "cheap" by advertising the position on a private hiring website called "indeed". Listed below is the school's advertisement.
Found on Indeed.com:
High School Social Studies Teacher Townsend Harris High School - Flushing, NY 11367
$50,000 - $80,000 a year
$50,000 - $80,000 a year
2017-2018 Full Time Teaching Position--September Start
- Seeking a creative and energetic social studies teacher who can teach diverse learners and has interest in project-based learning
- Audio/video expertise and/or interest in teaching law is a plus
- New York City High School 9-12
- U.S. News & World Reports ranks Townsend Harris as the #1 school in NYC, the #7 school in NY State, and the #44 school in the USA--a top 50 school in the nation
- New York State Permanent, Professional, or Initial Teaching Certification 7-12 required
- Job Type: Full-time
- Send cover letter and resume as soon as possible.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $50,000.00 to $80,000.00 /year
1 day ago - save job
» Apply Now
Please review all application instructions before applying to Townsend Harris High School.
Why would the school do this, unless they have no intention of hiring within the system? While the vacancy is also listed on the Open Market Transfer System (OMTS), its obvious to me that they rather hire outside the OMTS, if possible. Moreover, the school is also trying to hire an inexpensive teacher with minimal or no teaching experience, based upon the salary and qualifications advertised in the listing. Finally, its also obvious that veteran teachers and ATRs need not apply since they are not wanted and the private listing points to that.
For those veteran teachers and ATRs who believe the DOE will place them in a school, teaching their content specialty. Well then I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you because the truth is that nothing will change and Principals will do as they please and that means the cheaper the better, even if means advertising on private websites.