I have been following the disgusting "credit recovery" saga at John Dewey High School in Brooklyn where another terrible "Leadership Academy Principal" , Kathleen Elvin, has been abusing her authority and has a bogus graduation rate. Despite an OSI investigation that has been completed, the DOE has done nothing about disciplining the school's administration. The school came on the radar after the New York Post wrote an article questioning the significantly higher graduation rate at the school.
Now it turns out that the Principal and her administration has been graduating students who didn't even bother to go to class and violated the "credit recovery" requirements that the State and City agreed on back in 2012. A prime example was "student King" (not his real name) who Juan Gonzales of the Daily News wrote about in his article. The student, who apparently never went to many of his classes was allowed to graduate by taking massive amount of "credit recovery" online courses, all at the same time! This violated the State and City "credit recovery" requirements that limited students to only three credit recovery courses in the core subjects during their high school career. What did the Principal do that violated the "credit recovery" rules? Let me count the ways that "student King" was allowed to graduate without showing that he obtained adequate academic skills.
- Failed to attend class but was still allowed to take online credit recovery courses.
- Did not have teachers licensed in the subject area he was allegedly supervised in.
- Never was tested to show mastery in the subject as required.
- Took 7 "credit recovery" courses in core subjects just in the Spring.of 2014.
- Took 11 "credit recovery" courses while also carrying a regular load of 9 other courses in the last school year.
- Received credit for 5 courses in the same "0" period, with no teacher.
- Received credit for 6 courses after school in the same Spring semester.
Here is what one student thinks of Principal Kathleen Elvin on Ratemyteacher.com.